Mykonos Churches: Discover the many beautiful churches of the island of Mykonos Greece
of Panaghia Paraportiani
The Panagia Paraportiani is the most famous of Mykonos churches and also the most photographed monument of the island.
It actually consists of four little ground churches(Aghios Sozontas, Aghii Anargyri, Aghia Anastasia, and Aghios Efstathios) around the main church, amalgamated in a beautiful white, asymmetrical building. The church dates back to the 15th century. Its name come from the word “Porta”, which means “door” in Greek, because it was located next to the entrance of the medieval castle, today destroyed.
Monastery of Panaghia Tourliani The Monastery of Panaghia Tourliani is located 8 kilometers east of Mykonos town. The Monastery was founded in 1542 and was called the church of "Eisodia tis Panaghias" (Presentation of the Virgin Mary).
In 1767, the monastery was restored, taking its actual form and name. Its name is inspired by the famous Icon of the Virgin Mary found in the area of Tourlos, an icon considered to be blessed.
The monastery is dedicated to the Patron Saint of the island and is celebrated on the l5th of August.
The monastery’s architecture is beautiful and in the courtyard one will find a sculptured marble
It is located in Mykonos Town next to the Orthodox Metropolis. The church is usually closed as there is no catholic priest.
Covent of Panaghia The Convent of Panaghia was founded during the Turkish occupation, in the beginning of the 17th Century.
It is dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin Mary "Kimissi tis Theotokou".
You will find there some beautiful icons created around 1738by the Cretan painter Ioannis Skordilis.
-Metropolis - Megali Panaghia, located in Mykonos Town.
Agios Panteleimon is located in the area of Marathi. It was founded in 1665.
This church is famous for its icons and architecture. Unfortunately, it is closed to visitors and opens its doors only for the celebration of its name day in the middle of July.
fountain and a wood-carved "temple” created in Florence.
One can also visit a small museum which hosts religious clothes, Byzantine icons and the first bells of the monastery.
-Aghia Kyriaki, located in front of the famous Piero's bar in Mykonos